analyses

Billy O'Connor billyoc at gnuyork.org
Sun Jan 11 16:03:55 PST 2004

Jeroen Coumans <jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org> writes:

> What do you think about blocking HTML mail as another step?
> Combatting

I don't render html mails personally anyway, I can't stand them.  If
it's a subject that looks like a bug report I'll flag it and wait to
see if someone else responds to it, if not, I try to decipher it.  :)
HTML is the one format that's almost always spam, I thought it was
flagged in SA as spam already, but some were slipping through somehow.

> spam is a continuous proces; obviously spammers have found ways around
> our current installed SpamAssassin (2.55). I note that 2.61 is the
> latest version though; so we should definetely upgrade to keep up.

Yeah, we were doing good for a while there, I don't know what
happened.  Spammers getting smarter, I guess.

> Rest assured, I regard subscribe-only mailinglists as a last
> resort. But the lists aren't that critical to the few bugreports which
> we get from non-subscribers, so I don't consider them vital for our
> work.

I would never subscribe to a mailing list just to submit a bug
report, it's just too much work to help somebody out.  I have many
bug reports from people not subscribed, I know, because it's annoying
when they say "Please email me, I'm not subscribed.".  :)