boot and now chroot problem

Kevin Alm kevinalm at shenessex.heartland.net
Sun Jan 11 14:43:42 PST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "steve huskey" <iccaros at comcast.net>
To: "LFS Support List" <lfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 11, 2004 3:06 PM
Subject: Re: boot and now chroot problem

> On Sun, 2004-01-11 at 14:04, Kevin Alm wrote:
> > >Snip!
> >
> > Your grub menu is seriosly messed up. You need an entry something like
this:

> > title LFS boot
> > root hd(0,2)   (this needs to point to the partition that menu.lst, the
> > stage files and the rest of your grub files reside)
> > kernel hd(0,2)/boot/<kernelname> ro root=hde2 (and any other kernel boot
> > parameters you need)
> >

> > If you are using the host distros grub to boot then change the
> > root hd(0,2) accordingly. On your system the equivalences should be:
> >
> > hd(0,0)  = hde1
> > hd(0,1)  = hde2
> > hd(0,2)  = hde3
>
> Thanks. (I tried all of these already thats how I found (hd1,1) is that
> drive and partition).
>  but hd(0,0) is hda not hde, but I understand what you meant. my fedora
> system boots fine (hd0,0) with this an my last lfs 4.0 was on hde (same
> partition). since hde is my second hard drive hdc and hdd are both
> cdroms and grub sees this as (hd1,1) as hde2 (hd1,1) hde3 would be
> (hd1,2) and hde1 would be (hd1,0)
> ..
> it boots the kernel it stops and says no init found please pass init. if
> I think its my soft links but I can't even chroot in to fix them.
>
> I really appreciate the help
> but I've already checked that as a possibility.
>
> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
> #
> # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
> file
> # NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
> #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
> #          root (hd0,0)
> #          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda3
> #          initrd /initrd-version.img
> #boot=/dev/hda
> default=0
> timeout=10
> splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> title Fedora Core (2.4.22-1.2129.nptl)
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2129.nptl ro root=LABEL=/ hdd=ide-scsi
> rhgb
>         initrd /initrd-2.4.22-1.2129.nptl.img
> title steve kernel (2.4 LFS-5.0-CORE) # this is my LFS kernel
>         root (hd1,1)   # hd1,1 is the second hard drive in the system
>         kernel /boot/lfskernel  ro  # maybe this should have a
> root=/dev/hde2
> title (2.6)
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel /bzImage

Yes, you need a root=/hde2 in the kernel line. Without it the kernel doesn't
know what to mount as /.
It's a good idea to explicitly state the full path to the kernel as below.
One important gotcha coming off of a rh system, make sure all boot necessary
modules are complied into the kernel (for example ext3) Rh is in love with
initrd images and if you used your rh kernel config you could be in trouble.

kernel hd(1,1)/boot/lfskernel ro root=hde2

I gather you understand that grub searches through the sequence hda, hdb,
hdc, etc and assigns hd numbers to hard drives, hence your hde = hd1 .