analyses

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Sun Jan 11 14:38:11 PST 2004

On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 04:05:36PM -0500, Billy O'Connor wrote:
> Daniel D?az <al590349 at mail.mty.itesm.mx> writes:
>
> >> We rely on bug reports from all comers, subscribed to mailing lists
> >> or not.  They are vital to our work and must not be excluded.
> >
> > That is true, indeed, but for those cases the list administrator can
> > approve the post and filter the certainly not needed spam. I don't see
> > the loss.
>
> The mailing lists(and bugzilla) are open to any and all who would
> offer to help us with their bug reports.  This is not accidental,
> this is not a problem waiting for someone to solve it, this is the
> way we want it.

Agreed. There is nothing worse that having to sign up for someone's mailing
list or bugzilla to report a bug in THEIR software. LKML and all the
toolchain lists work on the basis of non-subscribers being able to post.
The downside is more mork from the admins is needed. But that is a price
worth paying to receive good reports IMHO.