Glibc-2.3.2: Different Problems

John Cheyney jccheyney at comcast.net
Sun Jan 11 13:52:06 PST 2004

I guess I mispoke.  Here is the whole story.

I unpacked glibc-2.3.2.tar.bz2.  This (obviously) created the
glibc-2.3.2 directory with all of the files in it.  I then unpacked
glibc-linuxthreads-2.3.2.tar.bz2 in the glibc-2.3.2 directory as
ordered.  I then did the ../mkdir glibc-build and cd ../glibc-build.
The directory glibc-build is at the same level as glibc-2.3.2.  Then,
from glibc-build I typed as ordered: ../glibc-2.3.2/configure etc, etc.
The file configured without errors, or at least it appears to have done
so.  When I type 'make' I get the error that there is no makefile as a
target.  The only thing in the file glibc-build is a file labeled
config.log which doesn't have any errors.  If I go back to glibc-2.3.2
and try 'make' I get an error that tells me I need to configure the
file.

I guess I don't understand the whole process as well as I thought I
did.  (Newbie overconfidence.)  When I unpack the file and create
glibc-build am I supposed to move certain files to glibc-build?  I
thought the configure script would automatically put things where they
neede to know, but evidently not.