boot and now chroot problem

steve huskey iccaros at comcast.net
Sun Jan 11 13:06:15 PST 2004

On Sun, 2004-01-11 at 14:04, Kevin Alm wrote:
> >Snip!
>
> Your grub menu is seriosly messed up. You need an entry something like this:
>
> title LFS boot
> root hd(0,2)   (this needs to point to the partition that menu.lst, the
> stage files and the rest of your grub files reside)
> kernel hd(0,2)/boot/<kernelname> ro root=hde2 (and any other kernel boot
> parameters you need)
>

> If you are using the host distros grub to boot then change the
> root hd(0,2) accordingly. On your system the equivalences should be:
>
> hd(0,0)  = hde1
> hd(0,1)  = hde2
> hd(0,2)  = hde3

Thanks. (I tried all of these already thats how I found (hd1,1) is that
drive and partition).
 but hd(0,0) is hda not hde, but I understand what you meant. my fedora
system boots fine (hd0,0) with this an my last lfs 4.0 was on hde (same
partition). since hde is my second hard drive hdc and hdd are both
cdroms and grub sees this as (hd1,1) as hde2 (hd1,1) hde3 would be
(hd1,2) and hde1 would be (hd1,0)
..
it boots the kernel it stops and says no init found please pass init. if
I think its my soft links but I can't even chroot in to fix them.

I really appreciate the help
but I've already checked that as a possibility.

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
file
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda3
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Fedora Core (2.4.22-1.2129.nptl)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2129.nptl ro root=LABEL=/ hdd=ide-scsi
rhgb
        initrd /initrd-2.4.22-1.2129.nptl.img
title steve kernel (2.4 LFS-5.0-CORE) # this is my LFS kernel
        root (hd1,1)   # hd1,1 is the second hard drive in the system
        kernel /boot/lfskernel  ro  # maybe this should have a
root=/dev/hde2
title (2.6)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /bzImage