analyses

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at JeroenCoumans.nl
Sun Jan 11 12:36:02 PST 2004

Hi Matthew Burgess. You said the following on 01/10/04 17:47:
> I don't know whether it's possible to sync the authentication databases
> between them (if that's the root we want to go), but I know that NNTP
> does allow username/password based access.  What would be nice is to
> allow read-only access to the news-server for everyone, but
> require username/password entry in order to post.  Again, I'm not sure
> whether this is possible or how hard it is to implement, it's simply my
> opinion on what would be a sensible access policy.

Until the spammers begin to hit on our newsserver, that would be a great
solution.

> Oh yeah, drop HTML e-mails as well...they're evil :(

Yeah! Seems I have some backup for this case! I'm also on some other
lists and they have even more restrictive policies. While I don't want
to lock the lists down, I think it is time to adapt to the rather
unpleasant side-effects of the popularity of mail. We have a no-HTML
policy almost since the beginning; since they cause security concerns
(all those viri from last year) and spam, we should enforce that policy.
For the same reasons I think it would be better if the mailinglists
become subscribe-only.

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans