Problems with glibc

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jan 10 12:55:17 PST 2004

On 10 Jan 2004 14:50:16 -0600
John Cheyney <jccheyney at comcast.net> wrote:

> Am I supposed to be patch glibc-2.3.2.tar.bz2 or do you have to unpack
> it first?  I get similar errors three or four times before the patch
> ends.

Read the early parts of the book again.  It explains that for each
package you need to unpack it (tar -xjvf or tar -xzvf) then `cd` into
the resulting directory.  The commands that are on each of the package's
installation pages are then relative to the top level of the
directory containing the package's source.

> The second problem is with compiling glibc-2.3.2.  It says to compile
> it outside of the source directory.  How exactly do I do this?  I
> can't seem to find a good explanation as to what to move where.

It's right there on the glibc page:

"mkdir ../glibc-build
cd ../glibc-build"

Hope this helps,