kernel-header: make mrproper

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Sat Jan 10 08:55:54 PST 2004

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, Klaus Becker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> under debian testing, I try to install LFS 4.1. I followed instructions until
> chapter 6 "Installing kernel-header linux-2.4.20". This is what I got:
>
> I have no name!:/static/bin# cd $LFS/sources/linux-2.4.19
> I have no name!:/sources/linux-2.4.19# make mrproper
> Makefile:252: arch/i386/Makefile: No such file or directory
> /bin/sh: /static/bin/gcc: No such file or directory
> make: *** No rule to make target `arch/i386/Makefile'.  Stop.
>
> I had non problem until this step, but here, I don't know what to do.
>
> thanks for help
> Klaus

Most people will build LFS 5.0 these days, it's a bit cleaner and more
educational (but also a bit longer).  Anyway, on the face of it you
haven't patched the source tree up to 2.4.20, or else you forgot to
rename it after doing so, but that isn't the problem, just another
comment.

If you search the FAQ, there is an entry for 'no such file'.  At a
guess, /static/bin/gcc is _not_ static.  My memory is a bit hazy about
the old way of building, but I think you've only just entered chroot.
So, from another terminal _outside_ chroot run

ldd /mnt/lfs/static/bin/* | less

it should tell you everything is not a dynamic executable, anything that
it finds using libraries needs to be rebuilt correctly.

If everything shows up as not a dynamic executable and there is nothing
relevant in the FAQ, please ask again.

Ken
--
This is a job for Riviera Kid!