glibc configure error

Allard Welter allard at nospam.nl
Sat Jan 10 07:14:05 PST 2004

On Saturday 10 January 2004 14:35, Bill's LFS Login wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, Quiz Quiz wrote:
> > ******************
> > *  IN Chapter 6  *
> > ******************
> > when i write "/glibc-2.3.2/configure --prefix=/usr \
> > --disable-profile --enable-add-ons \ --libexecdir=/usr/bin
> > --with-headers=/usr/include"
>
> In honor of your moniker, "Quiz Quiz", I offer the following:
>
> 1. Did you really invoke this command from the directory just above
>    glibc?
> 2. Did you *not* make a glibc-build directory specified in the book
>    (assuming you are using the same version I'm looking at - you didn't
>    say)?
> 3. Did you *not* cd into that build directory like the book says?
> 4. Did you *notice* that the book shows
>
>    "../glibc-2.3.2/configure --prefix=/usr \"
>
>    (without the quotes) as the command to execute?
> 5. Did you *not* think to mention what version of LFS, host platform,
>    etc.?

6. Is this all on one line?

   "--disable-profile --enable-add-ons \ --libexecdir=/usr/bin"

and this on a new one?

   "--with-headers=/usr/include"

   (without the quotes). if so, what do you think is happening to the
--libexecdir and --with-header options?

> If you answered "yes" to any/all of the above, you win the "Grand Prize"
> of being permitted to go back and
>
> a) Review the instructions in the book and compare them to yours
> b) Check the FAQ to see if there is anything there about this
> c) Use the "search" facility on the website to see if anyone else has
>    encountered your problem
> d) Review the section of the book about asking for help so that we know
>    if you are using LFS 3.*, 4.*, 5.* of CVS (and date)
> e) Pause a moment when something untoward happens and consider how you
>    should first begin solving the problem.
>
> No offense was intended, but I connected the moniker with the nature of
> the request and could not avoid entertaining myself with this question.
>
> ><snip stuff that seems wasted until the above answers are known>

f) read a bash tutorial and find out what the backslash does.

> > So what can i do????
> > visit www.islamway.com
>
> I don't the that site will fix the issues you mention!  ;)
>
> --
> Bill Maltby

Allard

allard at quicknet.nl