installing binutils

Allard Welter allard at nospam.nl
Sat Jan 10 07:02:54 PST 2004

On Saturday 10 January 2004 14:56, Trapp wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to install binutils but when I do
>
> configure \ --prefix=/tools --disable-nls
>
> It gives me the error:   configure:  warning:  --prefix=/tools:  invalid
> host type
> Any idea what the problem is?
>
> Appreciate the help ;-)

Howdy,

It is because of the way you are entering the command. the \ means continue on
the next line. configure is now assuming --prefix=/tools is something besides
an option flag.

Enter the command as follows:
configure --prefix=/tools --disable-nls

To clarify the backslash try the following:
you$ ls \ /
ls:  /: No such file or directory
you$ ls \
> /
bin   dev  home  lost+found  opt   root  tmp  var
boot  etc  lib   mnt         proc  sbin  usr
you$

You will notice that after entering a command ending with \ bash will show you
a '>' prompt for further input. The '\' is predominantly used in scripts to
make them more readable.

Regards - Allard.

allard at quicknet.nl