/usr/bin/install and friends

Allard Welter allard at nospam.nl
Fri Jan 9 14:13:29 PST 2004

On Friday 09 January 2004 21:29, cfk wrote:
> I have gotten all the way to section 6.18 in the printed book where
> gawk-3.1.1 is installed in the chroot jail. Unfortunately, the gawk
> installation is failing because of an inability to find /usr/bin/install.
> There is a /static/bin/install from the static installation of
                   ^^^^^
Is this your invention or otherwise what version of th book are you using 4.1
at a guess? Yes 4.1 == (3.1.1 && static); 5.0 == (3.1.3 && tools);

> fileutils-4.1, but no /usr/bin/install.
>
> I am going back to the beginning of chapter 6 and redoing everything again,
> but I am also hoping if someone would shed some light on why gawk is
> failing so.
>
> At this point, the /usr/bin directory contains the following files:
>
> catchsegv, cc -> gcc, cpp, gawk (a directory), gcc, gccbug, gcov, gencat,
> tetconf, getconf, glibcbug, i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc, iconv, ldd, lddlibc4,
> locale, localedef, mtrace, pcprofiledump, pgawk (a directory), pt_chown,
> rpcgen, sprof, tzselect and xtrace.
>
> Charles

I've forgotten what LFS-4 installs looked like but this seems sparse all the
same. 'install' is installed from coreutils in LFS-5 and from file-utils in
LFS-4. In LFS 4, fileutils is installed after gawk. Some clarity on this will
probably solve your problem.

cheers, Allard

allard at quicknet.nl