/usr/bin/install and friends

cfk cfk_alter_ego at pacbell.net
Fri Jan 9 12:29:34 PST 2004

I have gotten all the way to section 6.18 in the printed book where
gawk-3.1.1 is installed in the chroot jail. Unfortunately, the gawk
installation is failing because of an inability to find /usr/bin/install.
There is a /static/bin/install from the static installation of
fileutils-4.1, but no /usr/bin/install.

I am going back to the beginning of chapter 6 and redoing everything again,
but I am also hoping if someone would shed some light on why gawk is failing
so.

At this point, the /usr/bin directory contains the following files:

catchsegv, cc -> gcc, cpp, gawk (a directory), gcc, gccbug, gcov, gencat,
tetconf, getconf, glibcbug, i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc, iconv, ldd, lddlibc4,
locale, localedef, mtrace, pcprofiledump, pgawk (a directory), pt_chown,
rpcgen, sprof, tzselect and xtrace.

Charles