LFS 5.0, Ch. 5, Gcc-3.3.1, Pass 2

Andy Neebel andne167 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 9 09:57:15 PST 2004

"Albert REINER" <areiner at tph.tuwien.ac.at> wrote in message
news:20040107224703.A589 at frithjof...
> Hallo,

<snip>

> - Should I worry about those results? Should I `make install` and just
>   see what comes of it, or do I have to go back?
>
> - If I have to go back: How far should that be?  And while I am at it:
>   Should I switch to the 2.4.24 kernel because of the mmrepap.c
>   vulnerability?  If so, do I need to take any extra precautions?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Albert.

I have seen similar results, ( I don't know the numbers, but same general
idea) on my computer once.  IIRC, the cause was something to do with my
linker.  Most likely, you need to go back to glibc and start there again.
(Well, unless you back up tools at points, you will need to start over,
because the linker is broken, and nothing will compile again)  One way to
possible check this would be to install GCC, and then go on to the next
package and try it.  If it builds fine, then if may have just been a freak
event, but if the linker is broken, compiling another package should fail.

I have tried building on Knoppix once, and never succeeded.  It was on an
older computer though, and I did discover later that the CD drive was
failing, which caused most of my trouble.  This was almost a year ago,
though, and I think that the other issues that Knoppix had at that point
have been fixed.

Andy