LFS 5.0, Ch. 5, Gcc-3.3.1, Pass 2

Albert REINER areiner at tph.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Jan 7 13:47:03 PST 2004

Hallo,

I'm slowly going through the compilation on a Knoppix 3.3, and
everything went without problems until pass 2 of GCC in chapter 5.
Search, FAQ, and Wiki do not seem to address my issue.

During compilation of GCC there are no errors at all, but when I `make
-k check` I get tons of errors. The summary also has FAILs, ERRORs,
and UNRESOLVEDs galore, and the 16k unexpected gcc failures in
particular look disturbing to me:

,----
|                 === libstdc++-v3 tests ===
|
| Schedule of variations:
|     unix
|
| Running target unix
|                 === libstdc++-v3 Summary ===
|
| # of unexpected failures        258
| # of expected failures          2
| make[4]: *** [check-DEJAGNU] Error 1
| make[4]: Leaving directory `/cdrom/lfs/gcc-build/i586-pc-linux-gnu/libstdc++-v3/testsuite'
| make[4]: Entering directory `/cdrom/lfs/gcc-build/i586-pc-linux-gnu/libstdc++-v3/testsuite'
| Makefile:480: warning: overriding commands for target `check-am'
| Makefile:396: warning: ignoring old commands for target `check-am'
|
|                 === libstdc++-v3 check-abi Summary ===
|
| # of added symbols:              0
| # of missing symbols:            0
| # of incompatible symbols:       0

|                 === gcc tests ===
|
| Schedule of variations:
|     unix
|
| Running target unix
|                 === gcc Summary ===
|
| # of expected passes            732
| # of unexpected failures        16030
| # of unexpected successes       33
| # of expected failures          20
| # of unresolved testcases       4947
| # of unsupported tests          86
| Couldn't determine version of /cdrom/lfs/gcc-build/gcc/xgcc: spawn failed
|                 === g++ tests ===
|
| Schedule of variations:
|     unix
|
| Running target unix
|                 === g++ Summary ===
|
| # of expected passes            222
| # of unexpected failures        7041
| # of unexpected successes       30
| # of expected failures          964
| # of unresolved testcases       102
| # of untested testcases         9
| # of unsupported tests          14
| Couldn't determine version of /cdrom/lfs/gcc-build/gcc/testsuite/../g++
`----

I did not run the tests for Tcl and Expect. The check for devpts
(`expect -c "spawn ls"`) was OK, as was the "Locking in" sanity
check. I did apply both patches.

- Should I worry about those results? Should I `make install` and just
  see what comes of it, or do I have to go back?

- If I have to go back: How far should that be?  And while I am at it:
  Should I switch to the 2.4.24 kernel because of the mmrepap.c
  vulnerability?  If so, do I need to take any extra precautions?

Thanks in advance,

Albert.