Non-standard LFS v5-chap6: redefinition of `struct timespec? compiling sysklogd-1.4.1

Joel Miller cheeziologist at mail.isc.rit.edu
Mon Jan 5 16:19:33 PST 2004

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 22:14:58 +0000, Duarte Cordeiro
<Duarte.Cordeiro at cm-lisboa.pt> wrote:

> Hi all,
>  first the apologies: sorry for the long post and for my english :)
>
>  I've been following the guide, and until now eveything went smooth or
> was
> solved by visiting the wiki or hints pages.
>
> I have all standard packages except for kernel-2.6.0 and
> module-init-tools
>
> While trying to compile sysklogd-1.4.1 I get the following error:
> gcc  -O3 -DSYSV -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall -fno-strength-reduce
> -DFSSTND  -c
>
> ksym_mod.c
> In file included from /usr/include/linux/timex.h:186,
>                  from /usr/include/linux/sched.h:11,
>                  from /usr/include/linux/module.h:10,
>                  from ksym_mod.c:96:
> /usr/include/linux/time.h:9: error: redefinition of `struct timespec'
> /usr/include/linux/time.h:15: error: redefinition of `struct timeval'
> In file included from /usr/include/linux/jiffies.h:6,
> And so on.
> I googled it and it's because I'm compiling it against kernel-2.6
> headers.

<snip>

This is very much an unsolved debate. The current thing people are doing
is to used "sanitized" headers in /usr/include when using a 2.6 kernel.
More information on this can be found at hints.linuxfromscratch.org and
look at the 2.6 kernel hint and the NPTL hint.

--
Registered LFS User 6929
Registered Linux User 298182