solved kernel 2.4.22 build-on-LFS problem

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Mon Jan 5 14:44:11 PST 2004

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 edwin at itasca.net wrote:

> Thanks for the advice.  The problem IS the kernel config somewhere,
> although I still don't know where.  The machine is a intel 686 so I don't
> think cpu options are the issue.
>
> What I wound up doing was installing redhat's kernel source rpm on the
> host system and copying the redhat 7.3 i686 config for kernel 2.4.18
> into the 2.4.22 source tree and making oldconfig.  Took forever to build
> the kernel of course because redhat turns EVERYTHING on, but the kernel
> does boot on LFS.  I've diffed my trial kernel config and redhat's, and
> I'm gonna work my way through the file to see what I might have done
> wrong.  I did note that redhat enables framebuffer console which I didn't,
> although it doesn't look like I'm getting FB console.

 Ahh, the joys of getting a .config that not only boots, but does
everything you need as well.  Been there, still refining it on at least
one box.  Glad you found a way around it.

> If this happens to a lot of folks, perhaps a fairly safe kernel config
> file could be included with LFS?  I realize that kernel documentation can
> be found elsewhere and is really too big to discuss in the LFS book
> proper, but a default .config that would work on most systems might help.

 I take a different view - building a custom kernel ought to be a
prerequisite for LFS.  Apart from anything else, you can use a working
config from the same kernel version, and be reasonably confident that
any errors in the running LFS are not down to the kernel.  There are
also one or two options in the kernel (e.g. some of the network devices)
where the config system will allow you to build modules that cannot link
because they have a dependency that it didn't enforce.  It's nice to get
those sorts of things out of the way before trying to boot a new system.
Opinions differ, so do .configs.

> Starting to work my way through BLFS 5...
>
> DJE

Enjoy it.

Ken
--