curious about in-directory builds of tcl, expect, dejagnu

Guy Benson gbbenson68 at netscape.net
Mon Jan 5 02:25:24 PST 2004

"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at mindspring.com> wrote:

<snip>

>  like i said, it's a minor point, but i was just puzzled by why
>the first few packages were built in a separate directory, and after
>that, they were built in place in their source directory for no
>apparent reason.
>
>rday
>--

I believe that its simply because the respective package maintainers (gcc/glibc/binutils/e2fsprogs) recommend to build that way. But, I would suspect that not all packages CAN be built with a separate build directory, i.e. the packages without a GNU "configure" script.

Guy

New! Unlimited Access from the Netscape Internet Service.
Beta test the new Netscape Internet Service for only $1.00 per month until 3/1/04.
Sign up today at http://isp.netscape.com/register

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.