LFS starting from Windows XP

Joel Miller cheeziologist at mail.isc.rit.edu
Sat Jan 3 22:06:17 PST 2004

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 22:37:27 -0600, Albert Wagner <alwagner at tcac.net>
wrote:

<snip>
>> If you have Jeremy's boot cd why not use that as the host. I do
> frequently
>> for all my systems.
>
> I can now get it to boot, however, when I type startx after logging on I
> get:
> --------------------------
> (EE) VESA(0): No matching modes
> (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration
>
> Fatal server error.
> no screens found
> :
> XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
> after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining
> ---------------------------

If you want to use X on jeremy's cd then you need to startup in one of the
frame buffer modes. At the lilo boot screen the cd gives you, the top mode
is using no frame buffer and every mode under it is using a vesa
framebuffer at the specified resolution. You must be using one of the
framebuffer modes for X to work as X is set up to use the framebuffer
driver.

> Also, on Jeremy's download page it says that I may want to "activate a
> swap partition."  Other than creating a swap partition, what is involved
> in activating it?

After you have partitioned your swap partition you run `mkswap /dev/xxxx'
to make it a usable swap space. After that you need only to call `swapon
/dev/xxxx' and it will activate it as swap space.

> Thank you for your help.

Glad I can help!

--
Registered LFS User 6929