LFS starting from Windows XP

Albert Wagner alwagner at tcac.net
Sat Jan 3 20:37:27 PST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joel Miller" <cheeziologist at mail.isc.rit.edu>
To: "LFS Support List" <lfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org>
Sent: Saturday, January 03, 2004 6:21 PM
Subject: Re: LFS starting from Windows XP

<snip>
> b) Unzipping the file will yield a .iso file. This is an image of the
cd
> that you will burn. Windows XP does have some buit-in cd burning
ability
> but it does not have the ability to burn image files as images. You
will
> need additional software for this. Unfortunately I know of no free
> software to do this. I use a program called alcohol 120%
> (www.alcohol-software.com). It is not free but you can download a 30
day
> evaluation which will certainly be enough for you to get done what you
> need to do. When the program loads, the easiest thing for you to do
will
> be to click on the "Image Burning Wizard" on the left-hand side of the
> screen. This will ask you to select the image you want to burn and
then it
> should be able to take care of the rest if you use the default
settings.

Ah hah.  Alcohol did the trick. All attempts to do this with the
installed software just copied the iso image as a file.

<snip>
> If you have Jeremy's boot cd why not use that as the host. I do
frequently
> for all my systems.

I can now get it to boot, however, when I type startx after logging on I
get:
--------------------------
(EE) VESA(0): No matching modes
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration

Fatal server error.
no screens found
:
XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining
Also, on Jeremy's download page it says that I may want to "activate a
swap partition."  Other than creating a swap partition, what is involved
in activating it?

Thank you for your help.