LFS starting from Windows XP

Joel Miller cheeziologist at mail.isc.rit.edu
Sat Jan 3 16:21:17 PST 2004

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 12:27:09 -0600, Albert Wagner <alwagner at tcac.net>
wrote:

> My old machine with LFS 4.0 and LFS 4.1 died with a hardware problem.  I
> bought a new machine with Windows XP installed.  It came with the whole
> harddisk allocated to C:  I know next to nothing about Windows.  The new
> machine also has a CD-RW drive, which I also know nothing about.  So, I
> would appreciate some advice about how best to proceed.
>
> (1) I can discover no way to shrink the partition size of the C: drive,
> so I
> assume that I will just have to go cold turkey and lose the Windows
> installation when I repartition.

I am unaware of any easy way to do this on ntfs drives without buying
additional software.

> (2) I have downloaded Jeremy's boot cd from www.jutley.org/bootcd.  This
> downloaded as a *.bz2 file.  How do I unpack this on Windows in prep for
> burning?  I have never burned a cd before.  Does this cd have the
> necessary
> program for repartitioning the harddrive? (fdisk I assume).

a) I use a program called powerarchiver (www.powerarchiver.com). It is not
free but you can download a 30 day evaluation.

b) Unzipping the file will yield a .iso file. This is an image of the cd
that you will burn. Windows XP does have some buit-in cd burning ability
but it does not have the ability to burn image files as images. You will
need additional software for this. Unfortunately I know of no free
software to do this. I use a program called alcohol 120%
(www.alcohol-software.com). It is not free but you can download a 30 day
evaluation which will certainly be enough for you to get done what you
need to do. When the program loads, the easiest thing for you to do will
be to click on the "Image Burning Wizard" on the left-hand side of the
screen. This will ask you to select the image you want to burn and then it
should be able to take care of the rest if you use the default settings.

c) Yes, Jeremy's cd has fdisk and cfdisk.

> (3)  I also have SuSE 7.1 disks.  Are these adequate for use as a host
> for
> building LFS 5.0?

If you have Jeremy's boot cd why not use that as the host. I do frequently
for all my systems.

> Any other caveats I should be aware of?  Once partitioning starts I will
> be
> without the ability to email or download for a time.  Kinda spooky.
>
> Albert

If you have any problems using the aforementioned software you can email
me privately and I will try to help you through it.

--
Registered LFS User 6929
Registered Linux User 298182