LFS starting from Windows XP

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jan 3 11:42:17 PST 2004

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 12:27:09 -0600
"Albert Wagner" <alwagner at tcac.net> wrote:

> (1) I can discover no way to shrink the partition size of the C:
> drive, so I assume that I will just have to go cold turkey and lose
> the Windows installation when I repartition.

Will it really be that much of a loss? :)  There are some tools out
there (partition magic is one) that will resize partitions, but how well
they work on NTFS I'm not sure, and whether they are worth the price for
a one-time use is something you'll have to weigh up.

> (2) I have downloaded Jeremy's boot cd from www.jutley.org/bootcd.
> This downloaded as a *.bz2 file.  How do I unpack this on Windows in
> prep for burning?

Download  and install 7-Zip from sourceforge.net.  It's then a simple
case of right-clicking on the file in Windows Explorer and "extract
file".

>  I have never burned a cd before.  Does this cd have
> the necessary program for repartitioning the harddrive? (fdisk I
> assume).

I believe it has fdisk.

> (3)  I also have SuSE 7.1 disks.  Are these adequate for use as a host
> for building LFS 5.0?

How old is it?  You may need to update some of the tools (gcc, binutils,
glibc, etc.).  To be honest this may be your best starting point, simply
because you can install an e-mail, IRC and web client on it.

Hope the above is of some use,

Matt.