LFS starting from Windows XP

Albert Wagner alwagner at tcac.net
Sat Jan 3 10:27:09 PST 2004

My old machine with LFS 4.0 and LFS 4.1 died with a hardware problem.  I
bought a new machine with Windows XP installed.  It came with the whole
harddisk allocated to C:  I know next to nothing about Windows.  The new
machine also has a CD-RW drive, which I also know nothing about.  So, I
would appreciate some advice about how best to proceed.

(1) I can discover no way to shrink the partition size of the C: drive, so I
assume that I will just have to go cold turkey and lose the Windows
installation when I repartition.

(2) I have downloaded Jeremy's boot cd from www.jutley.org/bootcd.  This
downloaded as a *.bz2 file.  How do I unpack this on Windows in prep for
burning?  I have never burned a cd before.  Does this cd have the necessary
program for repartitioning the harddrive? (fdisk I assume).

(3)  I also have SuSE 7.1 disks.  Are these adequate for use as a host for
building LFS 5.0?

Any other caveats I should be aware of?  Once partitioning starts I will be
without the ability to email or download for a time.  Kinda spooky.

Albert