Problem with binutils-2.14 LFS 5.0

jmh j.m.hall at cox.net
Sat Jan 3 08:18:53 PST 2004

Matthew Burgess wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 21:27:37 -0500
> jmh <j.m.hall at cox.net> wrote:
>

>>When I run the configure it creates the cache, checks the
>>host, traget and build system type then errors:
>>../binutils-2.14/configure: line 2206: cc: command not found
>>*** The command 'cc -o conftest -g conftest.c' failed.
>>*** You must set CC to a working complier (paraphrased here)
>>
>>Well the book says I have to unset some variable, one of
>>which was CC.
>>
>>What should this be set to, or is there something else going on?
>

> It shouldn't be set to anything (hence the unset instruction).  Did you
> make the cc -> gcc link in the gcc instructions?

I haven't even gotten to that point yet so the ln to the
tools dir isn't possible right now. I think I've found the
cause though: no gcc installed. I'm doing a quick upgrade on
the system to install all the required packages and will see
how the LFS build goes then. One of the problem with taking
a system you not touched in about 4 months as a starting
point is that you might not remember what you put on it!

thanks.

jmh