Problem with binutils-2.14 LFS 5.0

jmh j.m.hall at cox.net
Fri Jan 2 18:27:37 PST 2004

I seem to be have problems with this sooner than other here.

It's my first attempt at LFS, I'm starting from an RH 9
distro. About the only thing I'm doing at all unusual is
that I'm building on the same partitian as the existing OS.
$LFS is /lfs. I don't think any of that matters.

When I run the configure it creates the cache, checks the
host, traget and build system type then errors:
../binutils-2.14/configure: line 2206: cc: command not found
*** The command 'cc -o conftest -g conftest.c' failed.
*** You must set CC to a working complier (paraphrased here)

Well the book says I have to unset some variable, one of
which was CC.

What should this be set to, or is there something else going on?

TIA

jmh