Overriding SUBDIRS on the command line can cause inconsistencies

Michael Kipper mkipper at rogers.com
Fri Jan 2 12:17:28 PST 2004

Hello,

I don't know if this is an LFS thing, or a BLFS thing, but lots of times
when I'm compiling things that work with the kernel, I see:

*** Warning: Overriding SUBDIRS on the command line can cause
***          inconsistencies
<snip>
/usr/src/linux-2.6.0/scripts/Makefile.modpost:17: *** Uh-oh, you have stale
module entries. You messed with SUBDIRS,
/usr/src/linux-2.6.0/scripts/Makefile.modpost:18: do not complain if
something goes wrong.

Does this mean I've done something wrong?
I'm using LFS 5.0, with kernel 2.6.0 as per the hint.

Thanks,
Michael
Toronto, Canada