Power Off after shutdown

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jan 2 03:50:14 PST 2004

Hi Elmar Athmer. You said the following on 01/01/04 19:45:
> I also tried halt -p and adding apm=on to the kernel paramenter, but
> still my system doesn't power off.

Perhaps your system uses ACPI, try enabling that.

FWIW I'm expanding the FAQ entry, based on the outcome of this
discussion. Please tell me if this information is sufficient for
enabling it in your case. The new text will become something like this:

Power Management is a kernel function, you need to enable it in the
kernel. In the 2.4 kernel, you have to enable the options for Power
Management Support under General Setup. For older machines, you'll
probably want the APM options, newer machines often require ACPI. Make
sure you read the help with each option.

After rebooting into the new kernel you should be able to poweroff your
machine with the command "shutdown -h now" or "poweroff" (also read man
shutdown and man halt). If you compiled APM or ACPI as modules, make
sure they are loaded before you try to power off. Some machines require
that APM or ACPI is compiled into the kernel because it needs to be
initialised at boottime.

FAQ and Website Maintainer
{faq,website}@linuxfromscratch.org
www.jeroencoumans.nl