Gcc/Glibc bug?

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at anciens.enib.fr
Thu Jan 1 16:19:22 PST 2004

Hey!

Once upon a time (on Friday 02 January 2004 00:33), mwright at acad.stedwards.edu wrote :
 > What's weird is that this seems to only occur when I try to assign 0 to
 > *p. If I replace 0 with any other number, positive or negative, I get the
 > expected result (a core dump).

Using LFS-5.0 by-the-book (except lilo in place of grub). I couldn't
achieve neither a core dump, nor the behavior you described. I'm on
a plain old P1 with MMX.

In fact, it might not dump core, as p is undefined at initialization
(at least that's what I was taught at school) and may point to a valid
memory location. But gcc might initialize data, but I don't know what
value it might be assigned.

Sorry...
Yann.

--
|  Yann E. MORIN  | Real-Time Embedded | /"\   ASCII RIBBON            |