glibc-3.3.2 io error

Daryl Lee dlee at altaregos.com
Sat Feb 28 19:26:04 PST 2004

On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 05:21:48PM -0700, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> The test does _not_ require 2GB of space; it creates a 2GB _sparse_
> file, meaning that the file appears to be over 2GB in size but actually
> contains less than 1K of content. This requires only 1K of disk space,
> but only if the filesystem supports sparse files. If it does not, the
> test will end up creating a large empty file, and that will take quite a
> long time.
>
> >Filesystem for SuSE 9.0 is reiserfs; kernel = 2.4.21-144-default
>
> That's strange; ReiserFS definitely supports sparse files, and that's
> not a terribly old kernel.

I think the mystery is solved.  I'm running a 466 MHz Celeron processor.
I know, I know--but I hate to throw away something that still works,
and, after all, Linux is supposed to be undemanding.  So I went into
test-lfs.c, changed TIMEOUT from 20 seconds to 100 seconds (for lack of
a pair of dice to roll) and things seem to be copasetic.

And thanks for the clarification on sparse files.  That's a bit of
technology that had escaped me.

--
Daryl Lee
Open the present--it's a gift.