glibc-3.3.2 io error

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Feb 28 16:21:48 PST 2004

Daryl Lee wrote:

> I think it would be a notable improvement in the documentation to warn
> the user that 2GB must be available.  The actual notice to the user is
> at the top of this page:
> Approximate build time:  12.3 SBU
> Required disk space:     784 MB.

The test does _not_ require 2GB of space; it creates a 2GB _sparse_
file, meaning that the file appears to be over 2GB in size but actually
contains less than 1K of content. This requires only 1K of disk space,
but only if the filesystem supports sparse files. If it does not, the
test will end up creating a large empty file, and that will take quite a
long time.

> Filesystem for SuSE 9.0 is reiserfs; kernel = 2.4.21-144-default

That's strange; ReiserFS definitely supports sparse files, and that's
not a terribly old kernel.