stolen

Jochen Schroeder jschrod at uni-muenster.de
Sat Feb 28 03:19:11 PST 2004

warbirdnut wrote:
> I'm getting this virus notification from my ISP. Something is
> going on with this mailing list...
>
> From: "postmaster" <postmaster at mail.ev1.net>  Save Address
> Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 00:20:03 -0600
> To: <--------->
> Subject: WARNING: YOU WERE SENT A VIRUS

> -------------
> The virus software on ev1.net has reported that you were
> sent a virus from lfs-support-bounces at linuxfromscratch.org, with
> the subject "information".
> The E-mail containing the virus has been removed to prevent
> further damage.

> From: Malcolm Musgrave <zen41149 at zen.co.uk>
> Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:23:42 +0000
>

>>Shane Shields wrote:
>>

>>>Is this another virus/trojan on the prowl?
>>>- --
>>
>>Looks like it, zip file attachment contains an msdos executable
>
> file,
>
>>that at least does some registry manipulation
>>

>>--

This is probably a spoofed header, saying the mail is coming from
lfs-support-bounces. I've been getting a few of these myself. My
suspicion is that someone who either is or was subscribed caught a
virus, and that one is now collecting the adresses from his system. So
most of us would be on there and get this emails.

Crossposted to lfs-chat all further discussions should continue there
because this is probably OT here

Cheers
Jochen