Gcc-3.3.2 build fails

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Fri Feb 27 16:05:16 PST 2004

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Daryl Lee wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 10:11:32PM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
> > On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Daryl Lee wrote:
> >
> > > The following is the last bit of output from "make" on gcc-3.3.2 in
> > > Chapter 6.  I'm building on a SuSE 9.0 host, using LFS 5.0 pre1.  I ran
> > > this step twice, to make sure I was starting in the right directory and
> > > running the right command.
> > >
> >  I hope `5.0 pre1' is a typo, although I don't remember any major
> > gotchas with it.
>
> Nope, it's not a typo.  I want to get through one full cycle before
> going on to bigger and, hopefully better, versions.

Ok then, and ignoring whatever is causing your current problem,

starting with an /old/ prerelease version of the book is never a good
idea.  Starting with 5.0 itself is ok (you get all the vulnerabilities
which later kernels and a later glibc will fix).

Hopefully we'll have 5.1 released by the time you're ready for your
second full build.  Note that I'm /not/ saying that ripping out what
you've got and doing the exact same build with 5.0 will buy you
anything, only that 5.0 would have been a more-predictable place to
start, because prereleae versions of the book almost always have
something wrong with them.

(whoops, cut out your comment about the chroot dance...) By "in chroot"
I mean whatever is accessible when you are in the chroot jail.  So,
`ls -l /usr/include/stdio.h' "in chroot"  should show a date and time
during the period when you were running `make install' for glibc in
chapter 6, whereas when you run the same ls command in a different
terminal you will see the date the date that the host's glibc was
installed.

And I'm sorry I don't have any more suggestions for what is causing your
current problem.

Ken
--
Brighton tops UK Jedi league