Problem booting from CF-ATA adapter...

Robert Novitskey bob at southsoft.com
Tue Feb 24 20:14:11 PST 2004

"Kevin P. Fleming" <kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote in message
news:<4034C710.7030103 at linuxfromscratch.org>...
> BoB wrote:
>
> > I am having a hell of a time configuring a system that I've put
together.
> > I'm using an EPIA M10000 board w/ 512MB RAM.  My drives are connected as
> > follows:
> >

> I would suggest using GRUB, I use it to boot from CF cards all the time
> without problems.

Kevin,

So, I finally got my CF card to boot properly using GRUB.  Right now, I'm
using Red Hat
9 to get the system up and running, then I'll be on my way to using LFS!
Now, to avoid a bunch of writes to it, I'd like to just make it boot up into
a ramdrive.  Unfortunately, it's not working so well.  The relevant parts of
my grub.conf look like this:

title Flash
    root hd(0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=LABEL=/dev/ram hdc=ide-scsi
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20-8

I don't expect this to fully work, since the initrd image doesn't have
/sbin/init.  I just want to see that it gets that far.  Anyhow, this seems
to work at first, but then a good part of the way through boot I get the
error:

Freeing initrd memory: 147k freed
Creating root device
    hda: hda1
mkrootdev: label /dev/ram not found
Mounting root filesystem
mount: error 2 mounting ext3
pivotroot pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed: 2
unmount /initrd/proc failed: 2
Freeing unused kernel memory: 132k freed
Kernel panic: No init found.  Try passing init= option to the kernel
(system halted)

So, I confirmed that my initrd image contains /dev/ram and I've read the
boot HOWTOs that indicate the initrd should be in /dev/ram.  Not sure why
this isn't turning up.

Any hints?

Thanks,
BoB