mounting a floppy

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Fri Feb 20 08:01:35 PST 2004

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Barry Sharpe wrote:

> Hi all
>
> The good thing is i have a working LFS 5.0 system thanks to many here.
> Bad thing is i wish to use the floppy drive so i issued a
> mkdir /mnt/floppy
>
> updated my fstab file to contain the following line
>
> /dev/fd0         /mnt/floppy     ext2    defaults      1      1

Change defaults to noauto or user,noauto.  Change the dump and fsck
options to 0.

> i then rebooted the machine with the shutdown -r now command

Why ?

> now i get a kernel panick
>
> fsck.ext2: No such device or address while trying to open /dev/fd0 possibly non-existent or swap device

I assume the panic is after booting starts.  You've told it to always
mount an ext2 floppy when it boots.  I hope you've got one handy to put
in the drive.  If you haven't, you'll need to boot into single user mode
to edit the fstab, or else boot the old host and mount the lfs / fs from
that to edit it.

> when you press enter the system will be halted
>
> before i can power down however the system continues to boot until
> i get this message
>
> end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00 (floppy), sector 0
> mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device
>
> enter to continue
>
> the machine then hangs

 There are known bugs in the current bootscripts, looks like you might
be triggering them with your ill-advised editing of /etc/fstab :)

--
Brighton tops UK Jedi league