problem - compiling gcc (pass 1)

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Thu Feb 19 14:47:58 PST 2004

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, JP Caruana wrote:

> >>all flags unset
> > good
>
> could you give a list of *all* the flags to unset ?

 Not really, if you didn't ever set them in the first place.  Things
like CFLAGS, LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

> >>distro = MDK 9.2
> >>gcc version 3.3.1 (Mandrake Linux 9.2 3.3.1-2mdk)
> > unknown quantity, for the moment
>
> ???

Statement of fact.  With previous versins of mdk we see repeatable
problems, usually fixed by "install x-y-z-headers rpm" answers.  On the
kernel mailing list, every few weeks there's a problem report for
menuconfig, because of broken integration of alsa by Mandrake.  So far,
I don't recall seeing anything much about Mandrake 9.2.

> > No.  However, some suggestions.  You talked about making cleanstrap,
> > which I'm not familiar with, but it sounds as if it builds in an
> > existing tree.  Suggestion 1 is to blow away both the gcc-3.3.1 and the
> > gcc-build directories and retry.
>
> done it : same failure. arghh !
>
> > Suggestion 2 is to look on mandrake lists / sites to see if there is a
> > later version of the rpm.
> >
> > Suggestion 3 is to use gcc-2.95.3, if you have it available, to build
> > gcc-3.3.1.  It might live in a kgcc rpm.  You'd need to note where it
> > gets installed to, and make sure it's first on your PATH. [ gcc
> > --version to prove which one. ] Again, blow away both directories first.
>
> should I uninstall my current gcc first ?

No, a later build of 3.3.1 (if there is one) should just slot in over
the top.  If 2.95.3 is available, whoever packaged it should have sorted
out where it is going to live.

> > If all that fails, I would suspect your static binutils is broken, but
> > usually that sort of thing is caught be the configure script.
>
> well, it seems to be that, in the end.
> waht can I do ? try to re-build my binutils, by other means ?

 Maybe try rebuilding it (remove the directories, extract it all again).
Internal compiler errors are not common.  I've just had one tonight, my
finger is currently pointing at the bleeding-edge version of glibc I was
trying, but without any proof.  I've also had one recently with a
particular set of options in XFree86.  I don't know how old Mandrake 9.2
is, but maybe you should look for later builds (not later version
numbers, just the build numbers) of binutils, glibc, even things like
grep, awk, perl.  Sorry I can't be more help.

Ken
--
Brighton tops UK Jedi league