LFS is not booting

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at jeroencoumans.nl
Thu Feb 19 10:12:51 PST 2004

Christian H. Kuhn said the following on 02/19/04 17:02:
> & dixit Christian H. Kuhn:
>
>>>Have a look at http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/devfs.txt
>

> One (last, i hope) question: is it a) safe b) necessary to remove the
> nodes made bei MAKEDEV with or without devfs?

a) safe if you don't plan on booting a non-devfs kernel ever again
b) no, unless you have a dramatic shortage on innodes

I use devfs, but sometimes a non-devfs kernel. To keep a clean /dev even
when you boot a non-devfs kernel, I use the following trick:
- boot a devfs-kernel
- "cp -a /dev /var/tmp"
- boot non-devfs kernel
- "rm -rf /dev && mv /var/tmp/dev /" (actualy, I did this from chroot,
but a knoppix livecd would work too)

BTW, thanks to you I added a pointer on
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/list.html to the hints download
directory :)