LFS 5.0 usr/src not populated

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Thu Feb 19 07:21:54 PST 2004

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, Barry Sharpe wrote:

> i find i have got to page 199 and i have no files in usr/src. I came by this
> as i was trying to compile the keyboard into the linux kernel. I would have missed it otherwise. Have i missed a step? on this my 3rd attempt i have ticked every page as i have completed it. I can find no pages unticked nor
> can i find any switch to point to the usr/src directory.
>
> My original thought was that the kernel needed to be compiled before this
> directory got populated which is why i tried to compile the keyboard after page 199 and not on page 187. i don't want to reboot until i understand if this is right or not

 You don't _need_ anything in /usr/src.  The book explains somewhere
(perhaps in the kernel headers page of chapter 6) why you should not
have /usr/src/linux pointing to kernel headers.  I think we _used_ to
build everything in /usr/src, but that was taken out of the book
(policy, and don't encourage people without sufficient experience) so
that you build wherever you wish.  There are probably still places in
the book that mention /usr/src.  If you've found one, and it's still
there in the CVS book, it's a bug.  If it is in 5.0 only, something for
the wiki I suppose.

Ken
--
Brighton tops UK Jedi league