Problem booting from CF-ATA adapter...

BoB dontspamrrn at po.cwru.edu
Wed Feb 18 23:04:01 PST 2004

Hello,

I am having a hell of a time configuring a system that I've put together.
I'm using an EPIA M10000 board w/ 512MB RAM.  My drives are connected as
follows:

Primary Master - 40GB 2.5" HDD (/dev/hda)
Primary Slave - (none)
Secondary Master - Slim DVD/CD-RW (/dev/cdrom)
Secondary Slave - ACS ATA-CF adapter (/dev/hdd; mounted as /mnt/cf)

I'm trying to use the hard drive as only data storage and I want to boot
from the CF adapter and run from a ramdrive.  I've temporarily installed
RedHat9 (this will eventually be an LFS system, I'm just trying to get
going)
to /dev/hda and trimmed it down (a real cursory effort) to 300MB.  I
zipped that up as my root image (to use via initrd).  I then added one
partition to a 256MB CF card, formatted it ext2, and created the following
file tree:

/boot/boot.b (from the RedHat install)
/boot/map (from the RedHat install)
/boot/rootimg.gz (the zipped RedHat install image)
/boot/vmlinuz (from the RedHat install)
/dev/hdd (the CF adapter is /dev/hdd)
/dev/hdd1 (the first CF adapter partition is /dev/hdd1)
/dev/ram0 (where the ramdrive will be for the root fs)
/etc/lilo.conf (the config)

My lilo.conf is as follows (lilo run as "lilo -r /mnt/cf"):

boot=/dev/hdd
disk=/dev/hdd
bios=0x82
lba32
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
image=/boot/vmlinuz
    ramdisk=350000
    label=Flash
    root=/dev/ram0
    initrd=/boot/rootimg.gz
    append="root=/dev/ram0"

Basically, all I get when I boot is an endless stream of "L\n":

etc.

At this point, I'm at a loss.  The last progress I made was using "lba32".
Prior to that I was getting "L 01 01 01 01...".  Basically, it looks like
the second stage loader can't be found, but I can't come up with a good
reason for that.

Can anybody help!?!

Thanks a ton,
BoB
-remove "dontspam" from my addy to reply