test failure, glibc make check (chroot pass)

Bob Morgan wb5aoh at wb5aoh.dyndns.org
Wed Feb 18 13:39:11 PST 2004

I am getting repeated failures of the test phase of the glibc make.
Three times in a row it has died looking for a file it couldn't find.
The actual compile phase of glibc ran to completion.  This is the
second pass of compiling glibc, that in the chroot environment.
As I recall, the make and make check of glibc in the first (tools) phase
went OK, in fact everything has gone smoothly up until now,
and I have been enjoying the long drawn out experience and learning
a lot about linux in the process.  This is the first time using LFS,
and the immediate goal is to produce a tight firewall without anything
else that I don't need.  After that I will probably have other projects
for it depending on how it goes, including maybe some imbedded things
and other compact systems.

For keeping track of progress I created a scratch copy of the
workbook textfile, into which I post my progress, mostly for keeping
track of where I am in the process, but also for pasting errors
into.  Here, between the make and make check steps of glibc, I have
pasted in what was still visible of the output of the compile/make.

This is LFS-5.0, and it is being built as a 586 variant of the
hardware.  Everything has gone fine up until now.  What am I
missing here, or is this a test bug itself (and if so, why am I
only seeing it on the 2nd pass)?  I also checked for partition free
space, and had plenty, and could create files on it (this paste
being one of them), so I am ruling out a disk space problem
as a possibility.  Here's the paste of what I saw:

   The test suite notes from the Section called Installing Glibc-2.3.2 in
   Chapter 5 are still very much appropriate here. Be sure to refer back
   there should you have any doubts.

-build/crypt:/sources/glibc-build/linuxthreads' \
/sources/glibc-build/libio/
cmp ../iconvdata/testdata/ISO-8859-1..UTF8 /sources/glibc-build/libio/tst-fopenloc.out \
  > /sources/glibc-build/libio/tst-fopenloc.check
/sources/glibc-build/malloc/mtrace /sources/glibc-build/libio/tst-fopenloc.mtrace >> /sources/glibc-build/libio/tst-fopenloc.check
/bin/sh: line 1: /sources/glibc-build/malloc/mtrace: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [/sources/glibc-build/libio/tst-fopenloc.check] Error 127
make[2]: Leaving directory `/sources/glibc-2.3.2/libio'
make[1]: *** [libio/tests] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/sources/glibc-2.3.2'
make: *** [check] Error 2
-------------attempted a restart with make check, per earlier docs.

/ieee754/ldbl-96 -I../sysdeps/ieee754/dbl-64 -I../sysdeps/ieee754/flt-32 -I../sysdeps/ieee754 -I../sysdeps/generic/elf -I../sysdeps/generic -nostdinc -isystem /tools/lib/gcc-lib/i586-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.1/include -isystem /usr/include' > /sources/glibc-build/posix/annexc.out
make[2]: [/sources/glibc-build/posix/annexc.out] Error 1 (ignored)
/sources/glibc-build/malloc/mtrace /sources/glibc-build/posix/bug-regex2.mtrace
> /sources/glibc-build/posix/bug-regex2-mem
/bin/sh: line 1: /sources/glibc-build/malloc/mtrace: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [/sources/glibc-build/posix/bug-regex2-mem] Error 127
make[2]: Leaving directory `/sources/glibc-2.3.2/posix'
make[1]: *** [posix/tests] Error 2
--------------so attempting aother restart...

d/resolv:/sources/glibc-build/crypt:/sources/glibc-build/linuxthreads /sources/glibc-build/libc.so.6 /sources/glibc-build/libc_nonshared.a -lgcc `gcc --print-file-name=crtend.o` /sources/glibc-build/csu/crtn.o
/bin/sh -e test-freopen.sh /sources/glibc-build/ ' /sources/glibc-build/elf/ld-linux.so.2 --library-path /sources/glibc-build:/sources/glibc-build/math:/sources/glibc-build/elf:/sources/glibc-build/dlfcn:/sources/glibc-build/nss:/sources/glibc-build/nis:/sources/glibc-build/rt:/sources/glibc-build/resolv:/sources/glibc-build/crypt:/sources/glibc-build/linuxthreads' \
/sources/glibc-build/libio/
cmp ../iconvdata/testdata/ISO-8859-1..UTF8 /sources/glibc-build/libio/tst-fopenloc.out \
  > /sources/glibc-build/libio/tst-fopenloc.check
/sources/glibc-build/malloc/mtrace /sources/glibc-build/libio/tst-fopenloc.mtrace >> /sources/glibc-build/libio/tst-fopenloc.check
/bin/sh: line 1: /sources/glibc-build/malloc/mtrace: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [/sources/glibc-build/libio/tst-fopenloc.check] Error 127
make[2]: Leaving directory `/sources/glibc-2.3.2/libio'
make[1]: *** [libio/tests] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/sources/glibc-2.3.2'
make: *** [check] Error 2
---------common thread seems to be missing file malloc/mtrace.....
(We have 264Mb free space left on partition mounted on /mnt/lfs)
root:/sources/glibc-build# ls malloc
libmcheck.a        mcheck.os      set-freeres.os     tst-malloc.out
libmemusage.so     memusage.d     stamp.o            tst-mallocstate
libmemusage_pic.a  memusage.os    stamp.oS           tst-mallocstate.d
malloc.d           morecore.d     stamp.os           tst-mallocstate.o
malloc.o           morecore.o     thread-freeres.d   tst-mallocstate.out
malloc.os          morecore.os    thread-freeres.o   tst-mtrace.d
mallocbug          mtrace.d       thread-freeres.os  tst-obstack
mallocbug.d        mtrace.o       tst-calloc         tst-obstack.d
mallocbug.o        mtrace.os      tst-calloc.d       tst-obstack.o
mallocbug.out      obstack.d      tst-calloc.o       tst-obstack.out
mcheck-init.d      obstack.o      tst-calloc.out     tst-valloc
mcheck-init.o      obstack.os     tst-malloc         tst-valloc.d
mcheck.d           set-freeres.d  tst-malloc.d       tst-vallo

(the final paste into the e-mail may have clipped a few things, but
I think most of the relevant stuff, mostly the glibc-build/malloc/mtrace
missing filespec is there.  The first and third times it was working
in the libio directory, and the second time it was working in the
posix directory.  I am not sure exactly what it was working on, as
that scrolls off the screen due to the length of the command, so I
can't say specifically where in the makefile it was at the times.)

Thanks, Bob