problem - compiling gcc (pass 1)

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Wed Feb 18 10:05:36 PST 2004

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, JP Caruana wrote:

> >  Looks like either the binutils you've just built is broken, or else gcc
> > on your host system is.  Have you got anything in $CFLAGS ?  If that is
> > unset, which cpu, which distro, which version of gcc on the host ?
>
> all flags unset

good

> distro = MDK 9.2
> gcc version 3.3.1 (Mandrake Linux 9.2 3.3.1-2mdk)

unknown quantity, for the moment

> cpu i586

good (I was thinking the mdk version might be trying to treat a via C3
as an i686).

> any idea ?

No.  However, some suggestions.  You talked about making cleanstrap,
which I'm not familiar with, but it sounds as if it builds in an
existing tree.  Suggestion 1 is to blow away both the gcc-3.3.1 and the
gcc-build directories and retry.

Suggestion 2 is to look on mandrake lists / sites to see if there is a
later version of the rpm.

Suggestion 3 is to use gcc-2.95.3, if you have it available, to build
gcc-3.3.1.  It might live in a kgcc rpm.  You'd need to note where it
gets installed to, and make sure it's first on your PATH. [ gcc
--version to prove which one. ] Again, blow away both directories first.

If all that fails, I would suspect your static binutils is broken, but
usually that sort of thing is caught be the configure script.

Ken
--
Brighton tops UK Jedi league