unknown user root?

Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at nospam.dot
Tue Feb 17 18:31:22 PST 2004

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> Billy O'Connor wrote:
>
> > Anyone ever see this?
> >
> > #whoami
> > root
> > #passwd root
> > passwd: unknown user root
> > Just something I saw someone having a problem with.  ml archives
> > don't show anything.
>
> The obvious answer would be that they don't have root listed in
> /etc/passwd, or whatever they are using for a system userlist.

Less obvious, but a possibility: an odd character in the "root" name in
/etc/passed. How about shadow: is installed, /etc/shadow exists, any
indication that shadow libraries not properly installed or referenced
(ldd on /etc/passwd shows /lin/libshadow.* refs when shadow is used)?

I don't have any other bright ideas.

Bill Maltby
lfsbillATearthlinkDOTnet