problem - compiling gcc (pass 1)

Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at nospam.dot
Mon Feb 16 18:35:50 PST 2004

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, JP Caruana wrote:

> hello !
>
> I have a similar problem
> MDK 9.2
> LFS 5.0
> gcc *not patched*
>
> for the bootstrap compilation (make BOOT_LDFLAGS="-static" bootstrap)
> I have the following mistake and cannot go further up on the road
> look a the end of the _very big_ message :
>
> /tools/i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lc
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[2]: *** [gengenrtl] Erreur 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/sources/gcc-build/gcc'
> make[1]: *** [stage2_build] Erreur 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/sources/gcc-build/gcc'
> make: *** [bootstrap] Erreur 2

Did you use the search facility to check the archives? Searching with

  /tools/i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lc

returns about 25 hits, one of which looks promising (wrapped):

<http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-support/
2003-December/021400.html>

I didn't read to the end of the thread or the others either, but I hope
that helps.

> <snip>

Bill Maltby
lfsbillATearthlinkDOTnet