GCC 3.2.1 Optimizations and Via C3 Ezra CPU

Ronald Hummelink maillist at hummelink.xs4all.nl
Sun Feb 15 05:38:29 PST 2004

On Sun, 2004-02-15 at 13:53, Ken Moffat wrote:

>  Also from memory, there were postings on lkml suggesting it works
> faster on i486 code (maybe only really significant in kernel space), and
> I think I saw somewhere that gcc-3.3.2 will correctly identify these
> cpus.

Older Via C3 lack cmov but do have amd's 3dnow. (the "ezra")
Newer Via C3 gained cmov, but traded 3dnow for sse (The "nehemiah")

so ezra seems okay with the cflags posted earlier, but the newer
nehemiah should be using other flags to avoid 3dnow ;)

Am not sure about cpu detection, march=c3 vs march=c3-2 ? maybe thats
gcc 3.4 stuff though as the info pages for gcc 3.3.2-branch doesn;t
mention anything beyond 'c3'

Ronald

> Ken
> --