LFS on OLD machine

tbdewey at earthlink.net tbdewey at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 14 22:28:39 PST 2004

Well, here I am again so soon.  I'm going on with BLFS, but I'm
posting here because it seems that LFS is where the problem lies.
While trying to make the rescue disk in Chapter 3 of BLFS 5.0, I
have the following problem:

losetup /dev/loop1 /tmp/rfloppy
gives, "/dev/loop1: No such device or address."

For good measure
mount -o loop /tmp/rfloppy /mnt/loop1
gives, "Could not find any loop device. Maybe this kernel does not
know about the loop device? (If so, recompile or 'modprobe loop.)"

modprobe loop
gives, "Can't locate module loop."

I've compiled the kernel three times (with GCC-2.95.3) and the last
two times I am certain I had selected support for loop devices,
ramdisk and initial ramdisk in the menu.config.  I've recompiled and
reinstalled modutils. I've read the documentation in the kernel
directory and googled a few hundred pages about this and no one
seems to report much trouble with it.

One question keeps nagging at me, and that is, the estimated
build time for installing Linux-2.4.22 in Chapter 8 of LFS 5.0 is 4.2
SBU. On this machine one SBU equals about an hour. But it has
never taken more than an hour to compile the kernel.

The messages that pass on the screen during "make modules"
and "make modules install" do not mention loop.

There are 8 loop devices in /dev.

I have the files:
/usr/include/linux/loop.h
/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/loop.h
/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modules/loop.stamp
/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/linux/modules/loop.ver
/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/include/config/blk/device/loop.h
/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/block/loop.c
/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/block/loop.o

Insmod /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/block  loop.o
gives, "Couldn't find the kernel version the module was compiled
for."

I feel that I'm not in Kansas anymore.

Again, thanks for everything.

tom

P.S. this is being written with vi on the LFS 5.0 system, so
something works, anyway.