GCC 3.2.1 Optimizations and Via C3 Ezra CPU

Bryan K. Walton zxcvbnm at tds.net
Sat Feb 14 19:04:36 PST 2004

Hi,
	I have a question regarding compiler optimizations for the Via
C3 Ezra processor. I did a little searching around on the web and found
this:

CHOST="i586-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=i586 -m3dnow -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CXXFLAGS="-march=i586 -m3dnow -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"

Now, that makes sense to me.  However, when I issue a "uname -m" on
this box, it reports that it is a i686.  And sure enough, when I
compile gcc on this box, without any optimizations, it seems to be
identifying the host as i686-pc-linux-gnu.  Any ideas what might be
going on here.  Is gcc incorrectly identifying hardware on the box?
I'm using GCC 3.2.1.  Or can I specify i686 in those three
optimization lines?

Thanks!!
Bryan Walton