binutils check failure : ld-bootstrap

Ben Bryant bryant_ben at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 13 10:01:38 PST 2004

Using LFS version 5.1-pre1, I'm now up to Chapter6:
Installing bin-utils-2.14. Configure and make work
fine, but when I run the make check, I get one failure
in the ld tests:

Running
/sources/binutils-2.14/ld/testsuit/ld-bootstrap/bootstrap.exp
FAIL: bootstrap with --static.

All the other are fine.

Any idea what could be causing this?

I am using exactly the package versions specified in
the book.  Also the cc dummy.c readelf a.out test
works fine, showing /lib/ld-linux.so.2 as my linker.
My host system is a stock Suse 9.0, with the 2.4.21
kernel.

thanks.