LFS actually on OLD machine!

Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at nospam.dot
Fri Feb 13 09:35:44 PST 2004

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 tbdewey at earthlink.net wrote:

> This is great!  Finally have LFS 5.0 installed on my Pentium 200. It
> boots and reboots and has colors and everything.  Starting BLFS
> today.
>
> One question.  For various reasons I moved LFS from my primary
> HD to my secondary, an old 3.2GB hd.  Originally I was using the
> same swap partition as the host was.  Now the kernel is on one
> drive, and the swap is on the other drive.  Would I benefit from
> having them both on the same drive, or does it really matter?

A *qualified* yes. There are *possible* contention issues. If your
activities are such that there is a lot of use of swap, you can benefit
by having swap on a different drive (and even better, a different IDE
port). Use of "free" is probably the simplest indication of your usage.
If you run X, do BLFS install stuff, etc. you see swap usage grow, but
not *terribly* (maybe 20-40 thousand blocks?). If your reboot and just
run X and do those normal user type things, may see only a few thousand
blocks used (this on a P200 w 96MB ram). Varies with configuration and
other loads you may impose.

If your activity is such that swap usage is very low, you generally
would not be able to see any difference in performance.

In another post I saw mention of "portability" by having swap on the
same drive, avoiding "hurting" if you moved to another machine that
didn't have the second drive. This should not be an issue under two
conditions. Initial boot in the new machine will work fine and you can
run fine under light load conditions, say doing recovery things, initial
setup things, command line stuff. If you have set aside a partition on
that disk that can be used for workspace when it is not needed for swap,
you can convert it to swap and do swapon (don't forget to initialize it
first) to enable it and you now have swap and can do the full gamut of
tasks.

See "man swapon", "man mkswap".

Even if you don't reserve this space, you can still work effectively by
making your swap a normal file with the existing file system. There is a
small loss of performance (both contention on the drive and FS
overhead), but it quite suitable for single-user systems. Performance
loss will be more noticeable because of the age (slower busses, CPU,
memory, cache).

Also keep in mind that multiple swap areas are permitted. You can set up
to use the secondary drive as primary, when available, and it will use
only the "secondary" swap when primary swap is unavailable.

> Thanks alot
>
> tom

Bill Maltby
lfsbillATearthlinkDOTnet