grub Error 15: File not found

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Fri Feb 13 04:46:30 PST 2004

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Barry Sharpe wrote:

> Thanks very much Ken for your informative reply. Unfortunatly
> my client "Groupwise" does not have a wrap option i shall hit the return
> key more frequently. :-)

Thanks.

> Also thanks to Arkady,
>
> I have to confess during the 3 week build, i never switched the
> machine of once, fear of losing the LFS partition i guess. I suspect
> i made a typo somewhere along the build process, when i came into this
> i new that i would have some problems as this is my first weeks using
> linux. i have blown more then my fair share of netware servers, why
> should linux be any different.;-)

 Not switching off is normal, but only if the box is secure :)

 A few suggestions:  When you go into chroot, add some identifier
into PS1, such as PS1='\u in chroot \w \$' (e.g. removing the host name
to avoid a long prompt).  Also, once you get into chroot, `ls -l /' to
make sure you really can't see any of the build host.  I've seen
examples on this list where the chroot command didn't work and people
were root on the build host.

 At the end,  pay careful attention to what the book says about grub.
As a first step to booting LFS it is well worth adding the lfs kernel to
grub's menu on the build host, rather than trying to boot directly with
the new grub.  This lets you prove that you can boot it.  You'll still
need various BLFS things before the build is close to usable.

Ken
--
Brighton tops UK Jedi league