LFS 5.0: autoconf/automake problems ?

lanas lanas at t-online.de
Thu Feb 12 11:15:13 PST 2004

Le Mercredi 11 Février 2004 19:05, Ken Moffat a écrit :

>  You sound as if you're playing mix and match with package versions,
> which is generally a bad idea, but I'm not quite sure if I understand you
> correctly.

When I saw that there was a autoconf problem, I simply tried with a previous
version from LFS 4.0.  This is hardly playing I think, but it's nonetheless
not the right way anyhow.

> Are you saying findutils-4.1.20 (no patch) doesn't build for
> you ?

OK, today I started from scratch.  The system I use for building 5.0 is a LFS
4.0 system.  I verified each build sequence and started building chapter 5.
Both suggested dummy.c checks were all right.  So I'm installing the packages
until I noticed that gawk-3.1.3 issued a warning about aclocal-1.7 not found:

mnt/lfs/gawk-3.1.3/missing: aclocal-1.7: command not found
WARNING: `aclocal-1.7' is missing on your system.  You should only need it if
         you modified `acinclude.m4' or `configure.ac'.  You might want
         to install the `Automake' and `Perl' packages.  Grab them from
         any GNU archive site.
cd . && \
  /bin/sh /mnt/lfs/gawk-3.1.3/missing --run automake-1.7 --gnu  Makefile
/mnt/lfs/gawk-3.1.3/missing: automake-1.7: command not found

(There's a bit more that I can post if needed)

However, gawk just went on building happily.  When the turn for
findutils-4.1.20 came, the problem was serious and brought the building of
the system to a halt as of now:

make[2]: Entering directory `/mnt/lfs/findutils-4.1.20/gnulib'
cd . && /bin/sh /mnt/lfs/findutils-4.1.20/missing --run aclocal-1.7 -I m4
/mnt/lfs/findutils-4.1.20/missing: aclocal-1.7: command not found
WARNING: `aclocal-1.7' is needed, and you do not seem to have it handy on your
         system.  You might have modified some files without having the
         proper tools for further handling them.  Check the `README' file,
         it often tells you about the needed prerequirements for installing
         this package.  You may also peek at any GNU archive site, in case
         some other package would contain this missing `aclocal-1.7' program.
make[2]: *** [aclocal.m4] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/findutils-4.1.20/gnulib'

With gawk it was  "--run automake-1.7 --gnu  Makefile" and with findutils
"--run aclocal-1.7 -I m4".  Gawk complained and went on, but findutils
refuses to continue.

Just before leaving I read something in the "crazy random errors" (Alex)
thread from last year, but no solution it seems.

I presently have no idea about the reason of this error.  Should I upgrade the
automake/autoconf utilities of my LFS 4,0 host system ?

I use simple scripts to build the packages, one script per package, one
executed after the other but with a pause in between to look at the results.
And this is how findutils-4.1.20.tar.bz2 was built:

./configure --prefix=/tools
make
make install

>  I don't think we can help you on autoconf/automake without the evidence
> from the failing build (typically, config.log).

Thanks for the advice.  Please note that I've started rebuilding 5.0 all over.
I can provide all the information that's needed to solve this problem.

Cheers,

Al