grub Error 15: File not found

Arkady Grudzinsky grudziar at linuxhightech.com
Thu Feb 12 10:25:07 PST 2004

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 09:57:42AM +0000, Barry Sharpe wrote:
> Heres the menu.lst file as requested, I found a great article on the internet on how to manually boot linuix from the grub prompt

> # Begin /boot/grub/menu.lst
>
> # By Default boot the first menu entry
> default 0
>
> # Allow 30 secounds before booting the default
> timeout 30
>
> # Use prettier colours.
> color green/black light-green/black
>
> # The first entry is for LFS 5.0
> title LFS 5.0
> root (hd0,3)
> kernel /boot/lfskernel root=/dev/hda4 ro
>
> # The secound entry is for Red Hat 9
> title Red Hat 9
> root (hd0,2)
> kernel /boot/kernel-2.4.20 root=/dev/hda3 ro
> initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20

It appears to me from your partition setup that you have a /dev/hda1
boot partition. Is that where your host system kernel is?  If you
specify 'root (hd0,2) kernel /boot/kernel-2.4.20 root=/dev/hda3 ro' in
menu.lst, grub looks for host system kernel on /dev/hda3 whereas it
may be on /dev/hda1.  root (hd?,?) command should point to the
partition where your kernel is, not to the root of the system.  Enter

root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-2.4.20 root=/dev/hda3 ro
initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20

into your menu.lst or type it in grub prompt followed by 'boot'.  This
may bring your host system back.

If your LFS kernel is in the same /boot directory on /dev/hda1, you
should enter

root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/lfskernel root=/dev/hda4

into your menu.lst.

It is very surprising that your LFS directories are gone.  Have you
followed all the chroot instructions during your installation?  It is
possible that you have installed your LFS in a different place than
you think.  Since you worked on LFS for 3 weeks, did you chroot every
time you started your PC and continued to work on LFS?

> I have typed the commands in at the grub console manually for red hat i get
>
> at the root command
>
> root (hd0,2)
> filesystem type unknown, partition type 0*82
>
> and at the following  kernel command i get
>
> error 17 cannot mount selected partition

This means that grub cannot read your (hd0,2) partition.  Is it ext3?
Have you copied the 'ext3fs_stage1_5 (or similar) into your
/boot/grub?

> for LFS i get
>
> error 15 file not found

Check the location of your LFS kernel and enter the correct path.

--
Arkady.

May the source be with you.