grub Error 15: File not found

Barry Sharpe bsharpe at cre.gov.uk
Thu Feb 12 01:57:42 PST 2004

Heres the menu.lst file as requested, I found a great article on the internet on how to manually boot linuix from the grub prompt

# Begin /boot/grub/menu.lst

# By Default boot the first menu entry
default 0

# Allow 30 secounds before booting the default
timeout 30

# Use prettier colours.
color green/black light-green/black

# The first entry is for LFS 5.0
title LFS 5.0
root (hd0,3)
kernel /boot/lfskernel root=/dev/hda4 ro

# The secound entry is for Red Hat 9
title Red Hat 9
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/kernel-2.4.20 root=/dev/hda3 ro
initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20

I have typed the commands in at the grub console manually for red hat i get

at the root command

root (hd0,2)
filesystem type unknown, partition type 0*82

and at the following  kernel command i get

error 17 cannot mount selected partition

for LFS i get

error 15 file not found

barry

On Wednesday 11 February 2004 11:48 am, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Barry Sharpe wrote:
> > i have now rebooted and my new shiny menu displays but nothing
> > unfortunatly boots. it just returns me to the menu and gives me options
> > to edit the command or go to a command line at which point i get a grub>
> > prompt
> >
> > i shall have to have a look around and see what options i have within the
> > grub enviroment to get my system back.
> >
> > steep learning curve ahead methinks
>
>  Sounds as if it can't find the kernel.  If the supplied parameters are
> wrong it would start to boot before either ignoring them or worst case
> panicking.  You can edit the command line you're trying to boot from to
> correct the name of the kernel image if it's just a typo, otherwise
> you'll need to give it the correct drive and path to the kernel.
>
>  Stick around, maybe a grub user can help you with this.
>
> Ken
It would help if you could post the contents of the menu.lst that you are currently using. Specifically, the one on the partition pointed to by doing:

root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)

at the grub prompt.
Kevin